Instagram Hashtags: Your How To Guide
Instagram hashtags is a hot topic, however, we want to make sure you know why to use them and how to use them effectively.
- Why you should use hashtags?
Hashtags are an effective way to increase your discoverability by reaching new people that aren’t necessarily following you. Hashtags don’t guarantee engagement. However, if you are providing quality content and using the appropriate hashtags, engagements and followers should follow.
- What hashtags should you use?
Hashtags should always be relevant to the social post. For example, if you are posting an image of a garden, don’t use #driveway, as this will only negatively affect your performance on Instagram.
Here is an example:Business: LandscaperPhoto: Garden transformation before and afterCaption: All about some products they used and about the gardenHashtags:
- Location (Southampton)- #southamptonlandscapers #southamptongardens #hampshire #hampshiregardens #landscaperhampshire #gardendesignhampshire
- Topic – #gardentransformation #landscaperlife
- Brands – #weareapl #londonstone
- Campaign Hashtags – #waterfeaturewednesday
TLC TAKEAWAY: before you use any hashtag, search it in the search bar on Instagram and see how many posts a hashtag has. If it has been used in over 500,000 posts we advise to only this sparingly. If you only use very popular hashtags, it means you will be pushed down the feed very quickly with new posts coming above you.
- Where to put hashtags?
Hashtags can be placed in the caption or as the first comment on the post. Both count!
- Did you know you can add hashtags to Instagram stories?
Adding hashtags to your Instagram story is a great way for your account to be seen by new people. You can even hide the hashtags on your story behind a photo or sticker.
If you have any questions, or would like a quick chat click here to contact us.